Nurturing the Mother Prenatal and Postpartum
Toms River Campus: Thurs. April 27 & Fri. April 28, 2023 • 9:00AM-6:00PM
West New York Campus: 2023 Dates TBD • 8:30AM-6:00PM
Presented by Chelsea Adams-Cook LMT
Nurturing the Mother® has certified 1000s of massage therapists in pregnancy and postpartum massage since 1990. This method utilizes a comfortable, secure side-lying position to avoid undue pressure on a growing abdomen and the lower back. Mothers are completely supported by pillows, keeping hip, knee and ankle on the same level to avoid pulling on the sacroiliac joint and to maximize blood and lymph circulation. Side-lying is the safest for mother and baby, and educates the client about the ideal sleeping position.
This Nurturing the Mother® protocol uses a combination of the following methods:
· Calming Swedish massage strokes for deep muscle relaxation, tension release and increased circulation.
· Gentle range-of-motion and stretching movements to relieve pressure through neck, shoulders, rib cage, lower back, and hips, and to promote greater strength, flexibility and balance
· Deep tissue techniques in the hip and gluteal area to help alleviate chronic lower back and hip pain.
· Abdominal massage with client permission for round ligament pain, to support digestion, increase circulation to the placenta and baby and to increase awareness of the baby. The baby will feel and benefit from the massage.
· Lymph drainage strokes to reduce pregnancy-induced edema